8 digital tools for banking with Wells Fargo amid COVID-19
The company’s mobile app and other digital tools and resources are a financial lifeline for customers self-isolating or sheltering at home.
Cheryl Meck, manager of Wells Fargo’s branch in Myerstown, Pennsylvania, could hear the concern in the customer’s voice. Sheltering in place, she didn’t want to go to the bank, but was worried about losing track of her account and incurring overdraft fees. Meck walked her through the steps to bank online with Wells Fargo, set up overdraft protection, and even deposit checks from home using her phone.
“She was so grateful, and appreciated that we had these options,” Meck said.
Even before the COVID‑19 pandemic, Wells Fargo bankers were showing customers how to complete many of their everyday transactions and banking needs digitally to save time — drawing on the company’s experience as the first bank to offer customers online account access in 1995 and subsequent innovations.
“As more customers have found themselves homebound the past few weeks, we’ve made several improvements to our digital services to make banking more convenient — like increasing mobile deposit limits and ensuring the branch locator has the most up-to-date information on branch closures and business hours — which have further empowered our customers,” said Jim Smith, head of Wells Fargo’s Digital Platform.
Wells Fargo’s digital banking options are drawing even more interest and use as customers manage their finances amid “shelter-in-place” orders and other efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus. In fourth quarter 2019, the company already had 30.3 million active digital (online and mobile) customers, and usage is on the rise.
“Every day, and especially in extraordinary times, our customers count on us to help them with their financial needs,” said Mary Mack, CEO of Consumer & Small Business Banking and interim CEO of Consumer Lending. “Whether they choose to bank with us digitally or in a branch, we’re here to help.”
- Download and use the Wells Fargo Mobile® app to transfer money, pay bills, monitor transactions, or deposit checks using mobile deposit1 — a feature that can be used to deposit U.S. government economic impact payments for COVID‑19 relief.
- Set up alerts2 to track spending and account balances so that you can monitor your accounts.
“Every day, and especially in extraordinary times, our customers count on us to help them with their financial needs. Whether they choose to bank with us digitally or in a branch, we’re here to help.” — Mary Mack, CEO of Consumer & Small Business Banking and Interim CEO of Consumer Lending
- Send money to, and receive money from, friends and family using Zelle®3 without having to visit homes or travel.
- Put debit and credit cards into your digital wallet of choice and use your phone to pay, helping to minimize the surfaces touched. Consumer debit and credit card customers with contactless cards also can use the “tap to pay” feature to eliminate the need to insert or swipe cards.
- Use Control Tower® to view in one location recurring payments associated with Wells Fargo debit and credit cards. Identify and make plans to cancel any unneeded services or subscriptions with the merchants to free up cash for emergencies or other uses.
- Manage investments on your own using the WellsTrade® self-directed trading platform which allows investors to obtain real-time quotes, trade stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and options. Or use Intuitive Investor® tool — an investment platform combining automated portfolio creation with financial advisor support.
Brokerage products and services offered through Wells Fargo Advisors, a trade name used by Wells Fargo Clearing Services, LLC (WFCS), Member SIPC, a registered broker-dealer and non-bank affiliate of Wells Fargo & Company. WellsTrade and Intuitive Investor are offered through WFCS.
- Buy or refinance a home online through Wells Fargo’s online mortgage application. Track the loan’s progress after application, sign disclosures and upload documents, and complete other tasks.
- Apply online for personal loans.
Customers can also check Wells Fargo’s branch locator for ATM locations and the updated status of branches. Visit wellsfargo.com/coronavirus for the latest Wells Fargo COVID‑19 updates, including customer service options and tips to begin using the company’s online banking and mobile banking features.
1Some accounts are not eligible for mobile deposit. Availability may be affected by your mobile carrier’s coverage area. Your mobile carrier’s message and data rates may apply.
2Sign up may be required. Availability may be affected by your mobile carrier’s coverage area. Your mobile carrier’s message and data rates may apply.
3Transactions typically occur in minutes when the recipient’s email address or U.S. mobile number is already enrolled with Zelle. Available to almost anyone with a U.S.-based bank account. For your protection, Zelle should only be used for sending money to friends, family, or others you know and trust. Sending money with Zelle is similar to making a payment in cash. Your mobile carrier’s message and data rates may apply.
Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.
▸ Not Insured by the FDIC or any Federal Government Agency
▸ Not a Deposit or Other Obligation of, or Guaranteed by, the Bank or any Bank Affiliate
▸ Subject to Investment Risks, Including Possible Loss of the Principal Amount Invested
Wells Fargo Home Mortgage is a division of Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. ©2020 Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. All rights reserved. NMLSR ID 399801
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. is a bank affiliate of Wells Fargo & Company.